This Week’s Sunday Gospel Reflection
Readings available at www.usccb.org/readings
Sunday, December 13
Reflection by Nicole Andrejow
“I rejoice heartily in the Lord, in my God is the joy of my soul.” This weekend we celebrate Gaudete Sunday–a reminder amidst the season of Advent to rejoice as we look forward to the birth of Jesus. What reasons do you have to rejoice and be joyful this season?
In the Gospel, John provides testimony to announce the coming of Jesus, the light of the world. He reminds us that our Savior is among us already, leading us to action to prepare for the promise of salvation. As Christmas draws nearer, we can easily be distracted by to-do lists of gifts to buy and food to prepare, but John’s testimony calls us to look inward and reflect on what we need to do to get ready for Jesus.
We can look to today’s readings to guide our preparations. What areas of our spiritual life can we improve in anticipation of Christ? Do we need to focus on developing our prayer life? On serving our communities? On turning away from evil? On giving praise in all circumstances? By following God’s will and allowing ourselves to be transformed by His grace, we will be able to rejoice in the true joy that can only be found in Him.
Advent Reflections for the Week
Sign Up for Mass December 12 & 13
We encourage you to pre-register to save time when you check in at Mass, as well as to help us gauge attendance. Pre-registering is not required, however. Kindly sign up for Mass by 3:00 PM on Saturday, December 12. Here’s how:
- Click here and then click the “Sign Up” button of the Mass you’d like to attend.
- Select the number of people in your household who will be attending from the drop-down menu.
- If you’re already in the Flocknotes database, the system will recognize you when you click the sign-up button. If not, enter a contact name and email or phone number if prompted.
- Click Submit and close the sign-up window/tab.
- You’ll receive an email confirmation after your sign up is complete. The confirmation email gives you the ability to modify or cancel your registration after you’ve signed up.
Christmas Mass Schedule & Seating – Registration Open Until December 20
Sign up for Christmas Masses HERE
Due to capacity and social distancing restrictions caused by the pandemic, all seating for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Masses will be via PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY. The Christmas Mass Schedule is:
Christmas Eve (Thurs., Dec. 24)
- 1:00 PM
- 4:00 PM
- 7:00 PM
- 10:00 PM
Christmas Day (Fri., Dec. 25)
- 9:00 AM
- 11:30 AM
All Masses will be held in the church, as well as livestreamed on Facebook. Once registration capacity is reached in the church for a given Mass, registration for a Virtual Venue in the Hall to view the livestream and receive Communion at that Mass time will be available.
Online registration will be open from December 1-20. Those without a computer or internet access may call the parish office during office hours to register during the registration period.
- When signing up, select the total number of people in your household who live under the same roof who will be attending Mass. Space is at a premium, and it will be difficult to seat larger groups.
- You may only sign up once. Attempting to register additional people with a second sign-up will void and replace the first registration
- Family members who live outside your home should register separately via Flocknotes or with the following URL: https://sjehydes.flocknote.com/signup/25173
- If changes need to be made to your registration, kindly contact Colleen at email@example.com so that she may make those adjustments for you.
If you have any questions about your registration status, contact Colleen at firstname.lastname@example.org. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we strive to safely accommodate as many people as possible.
St. John Watercolor Series – Great Christmas Gift Idea!
Christmas Cash Raffle
1 Ticket = 3 Chances to Win!
The holiday season is upon us, and who couldn’t use some extra cash at Christmas?
The St. John Christmas Cash Raffle is a great way to support the parish while giving yourself and your loved ones three chances to win with every ticket. Tickets are $25 each, and they make great Christmas gifts! For every 10 tickets purchased, you’ll receive the 11th ticket FREE!
Grand Prize = $3,000
Casserole & Food Pantry Drop-Off Thank You!
Thank you to everyone who donated 107 Our Daily Bread casseroles and more than 300 bags of food for St. Elizabeth of Hungary Food Pantry last weekend! Here are a few snapshots submitted by Patti Griffin, our St. Elizabeth of Hungary donation coordinator.
We appreciate your donations to help feed those in need!
Submit Well-Wishes for Sr. Carol’s Retirement
In honor of Sr. Carol Czyzewski’s retirement at the end of this month, we are putting together a book of well-wishes, stories, anecdotes, memories, pictures, etc. from parishioners and staff. We would love to fill the book!
If you’d like, you may submit a card, hand-written note, typed message, or anything special to be included in the book to Debbie Jenkins at email@example.com by December 15 at the latest.
In addition, anyone who’d like to make a contribution may do so by making a check payable to St. John Church and notate that it’s for Sr. Carol’s retirement. The contributions will be submitted in one lump sum to the Mother House where Sister will eventually be residing.
Questions? Contact Debbie Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-592-6206, ext. 100.
Tree & Creche Lighting – Thanks!
Thank you to all those who came out for last Saturday’s creche/tree lighting and blessing of the bambinelli. In case you missed it, here are a few snapshots, courtesy of Debbie Jenkins and Joe Wenderoth: