Opening Heritage Mass & Celebration

April 18, 2021

9:00 AM Heritage Mass in the Church

When the first Mass was celebrated at St. John the Evangelist it was in 1822 and the church building was located on Carroll Manor Road.

By 1855, a fire demolished that original structure, but some generous parishioners donated property, and a new church was built the very same year. It’s now our chapel!

As the years passed and the parish population grew, the present church building was constructed in 1969. And it’s where the Heritage Mass opening our year of Bicentennial events will be celebrated on April 18!

Archbishop William Lori and many of our past and present St. John the Evangelist priests will come together to offer Mass at the first Roman Catholic parish in Baltimore County. Such an incredible way to begin a special year of events celebrating the parish.

Kindly note that seating for the 9 AM Heritage Mass will be first-come, first-served in the church, with overflow in the church hall to watch the livestream.

Also note that there will NOT be an 11:30 AM Mass on April 18; we will celebrate a “quiet” Mass (no music) at 7:00 AM on April 18 for those who wish to attend.

If you can’t be there in person, remember that the Heritage Mass will be livestreamed.

Procession & Blessings After Mass

After the Mass, we will process to the Chapel for a special blessing by Archbishop Lori, then continue to the Koontz House/Conference Center for a special blessing and the ribbon-cutting of the new Parish History Exhibit.

Kick-Off Reception – Kindly RSVP

After the Parish History Exhibit ribbon-cutting, we will celebrate the kick-off of our year-long bicentennial celebration with an outdoor reception under a big tent on the parking lot in front of the Koontz House/playground. To make sure we have enough food for everyone who attends the reception, kindly RSVPby Tuesday, April 13 by calling the parish office or at this sign-up link:  https://sjehydes.flocknote.com/signup/48227

News Coverage of Heritage Mass Kick-Off

Photos from April 18 “Opening Day”