This Week’s Gospel Reflection
Written by Theresa Konitzer, Director of Religious Education
Good and Gracious God, thank You for the gift of this beautiful country that is blessed with so many natural resources. From its majestic mountains to its tiniest of streams, You have gifted us. Our soil is rich and from it produces wheat, corn, and other fruits and vegetables in such abundance that we have enough not only for the people living in this country, but for the poor of the world. Our water is clean for drinking, bathing, and cooking. Technology is helping us find solutions to air pollution. We are so blessed because of Your goodness. Our job is to make sure it stays that way. Taxes, though a burden, help us to maintain God’s creation.
In today’s Gospel, the Pharisees are trying to trick Jesus so they can turn Him over to the Roman government. They ask Him, “Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not?” Jesus asks for a coin and says to them, “Whose image is this and whose inscription?” They reply, “Caesar’s.” Jesus says, “Then repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God.”
While we may gripe about paying taxes, there is so much good that the money does. The second part of that response is to make sure that we are giving to God what belongs to God.
Lord, You are my everything, and to You I give my all. Heavenly Father, I pray to You for the guidance to make sure that the words I speak, and my actions reflect Your goodness.
Sign Up for Mass October 17 & 18
- Click here and then click the “Sign Up” button of the Mass you’d like to attend.
- Select the number of people in your household who will be attending from the drop-down menu.
- If you’re already in the Flocknotes database, the system will recognize you when you click the sign-up button. If not, enter a contact name and email or phone number if prompted.
- Click Submit and close the sign-up window/tab.
- You’ll receive an email confirmation after your sign up is complete. The confirmation email gives you the ability to modify or cancel your registration after you’ve signed up.
All Souls Novena
A novena of Masses for All Souls will be celebrated from November 2–10. An envelope for this purpose is included in your October packet, and it contains spaces for listing the names of the deceased that you would like remembered.
These envelopes will be placed in the sanctuary for the duration of the novena, along with a perpetual candle that will stay lit for the month of November. Extra envelopes will be available in the parish office for those who donate online or no longer receive envelopes in the mail. Please return them to the parish office or via the collection baskets by October 30.