Office of Youth Ministry
St. John the Evangelist
13305 Long Green Pike
Hydes, MD 21082
The Archdiocese of Baltimore is committed to providing young people and their parents with education about youth protections within the context of a holistic catechesis in human sexuality. In order to present these topics in an age-appropriate manner, the curriculum is divided into 4 sections.
- Healthy Relationships
- Decision Making
- Chastity and Abstinence
- Sacramentality of Marriage
Each section contains a video with prayer and information, as well as discussion questions. These questions are intended to be discussed between the parent and teen. We DO NOT need the responses to the questions.
We thank you for allowing us to partner with you, the first educators of faith, to help our next generation to understand this critically important topic to the psychological and spiritual development of all people, especially our teens.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Youth Ministry.
Peace and Blessings be with you.
Coordinator of Youth Ministry
Created to Love – Introduction https://youtu.be/9PybZIuhsAw
Session 1 – Healthy Relationships https://youtu.be/TZbxRPRjbZo
- CCC 2347 The virtue of chastity blossoms in friendship. It shows the disciple how to follow and imitate him who has chosen us as his friends, who has given himself totally to us and allows us to participate in his divine estate. Chastity is a promise of immortality. Chastity is expressed notably in friendship with one’s neighbor. Whether it develops between persons of the same or opposite sex, friendship represents a great good for all. It leads to spiritual communion.
- What are the traits you or others display in friendships that help them grow stronger?
- Paul’s First Letter to the Corinthians speaks of love which gives us clues about how God loves us and desires us to love one another.
- What is a healthy relationship?
- How does God play a role in a healthy relationship?
- How have I seen God’s presence in some of my closest relationships?
- If you ever feel you are in an imbalanced relationship, or you feel unsafe, who are 1-3 adults that you and your parents trust you to turn to for help?
Session 2 – Decision Making https://youtu.be/e4rAMghm9lE
- Describe a time when you ignored your conscience and regretted it later.
- Describe a time when you listened to your conscience and followed it, even though it was difficult.
- How good do you think you are at making decisions, based on a scale from 1-10 where 10 is the best?
- What are 2 practical things you could do to become a better decision maker?
Session 3 – Chastity & Abstinence https://youtu.be/DjUkYWuU5kI
- What does it mean to be created in God’s own image and likeness?
- If we are God’s best creation, what does that tell us about how we should treat one another?
- Considering God’s definition of love: What are some examples of physical interaction that would not be considered sinful or immoral, according to God’s definition of a loving relationship?
- What positive and/or negative impressions do you have of Chastity & Abstinence, and Why are the positives good, and what makes the negatives bad?
Session 4 – The Sacramentality of Marriage https://youtu.be/x9cLSIV4XK0
- A Sacramental Marriage must be:
- Free – no conditions and an active choice
- Fruitful – – life-giving
- Full – giving completely and without reservation o Faithful – keeping commitment to each other and God.
- All of the Above
- Sacramental Marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman.
- Marriage is a unique sacrament because:
- The priest asks the bridge and groom to exchange rings?
- The couple are the ones that perform the Sacrament with each other, not the priest/deacon.
- This is one of the few sacraments that is intended to only be received once.
- Couples that Pray together
- Gets Wealthy
- Stays Together
- Struggles more