Today’s Prayer – July 4
by Fr. Pete Literal, Pastor
Abba, Father in heaven, today we recall and celebrate the day when our country claimed independence and began to live as one nation and one people under Your reign, who is a just and true God. We thank You for our country and we seek Your help to rescue Your people from the viruses of COVID-19 or disrespect. Our country has gone through many challenges in the past and continues to experience dangers when freedom is lived without respect of others and personal responsibility.
Please guide our nation with Your direction and leadership. As Amos spoke of how You will restore Israel to a land of freedom and joy after learning from the experience of defeat by an enemy, we plead to You to also “raise up the fallen hut of David,” our nation, and repair the ruins caused by misusing our rights and freedom without regard of the rights of others and law and order.
We pray to You today that we, Your people, may rejoice for this gift of freedom, but also learn to appreciate the virtue of delayed gratification and making sacrifices for others and our nation. As Your Gospel today exhorts us to fast so that we can reclaim You in our lives, teach us to fast out of love for You and offer ourselves with the desire that You will bless our nation.
We acknowledge Your goodness in our hearts and on our lips, enjoying what Your kindness has provided. We want to express our love and gratitude for our country through some little sacrifice, just as we make a sacrifice to show our love for others. Guide our wills to fast or to make sacrifices of our personal preferences out of consideration for others and our nation. Bless our good intentions and accept the little sacrifice that we now offer from our hearts.
We ask this through Jesus Christ, Our Lord.
Pray the daily Sacred Scripture and be transformed in spirit and truth.
Daily readings can be found on the USCCB website here.
Today’s Update – July 4
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!
July 4th 5 PM Mass will be LIVE-STREAMED with Special Patriotic Music!
The 5:00 PM Mass on Saturday, July 4 will be live-streamed on Facebook so that those at home may enjoy the special patriotic music preludes.
Patriotic preludes will begin at 4:50 PM, with Dr. Luis Engelke, Professor of Trumpet at Towson University on trumpet and Doug Byerly on piano.
- O Beautiful for Spacious Skies
- MSMM Glory to God
- Psalm 145: I Will Praise Your Name
- MSMM Gospel Acclamation
- Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)
- MSMM Holy
- MSMM We Proclaim Your Death
- MSMM Amen
- MSMM Lamb of God
(MSMM = Mass of St. Mary Magdalene)
Parish Office Reopens Monday, July 6 | Monday-Friday, 8 AM – 12 PM
Beginning Monday, July 6, the parish office will be open from 8:00 AM – 12 PM Monday through Friday. In order to safely resume operations, there are protocols that we must follow, including:
- Visitors should make an appointment before coming to the parish office.
- Visitors must take their temperatures at home before coming to the parish office. (If you aren’t feeling well or have a temperature of 100 degrees F or higher, please stay home.)
- Visitors must wear a face covering from the time they leave their vehicles until they return to their vehicles.
- The inner set of office entrance doors will remain locked; visitors should ring the doorbell and wait for a staff member to let them in.
- Visitors must sign-in and sign-out so that we have a record of who has been in the building.
- Visitors should remain in the lobby until a staff member comes to escort them.
- Visitors should not congregate in or around the parish office.
- Proper social distancing must be maintained at all times.
- We ask that if purchasing a Mass card ($10 each for regular size; $15 for large) that you have the exact amount in cash or a check previously made out to St. John Church.
- For prayer shawls, kindly call the parish office to arrange in advance.
We look forward to reopening the office, even with reduced daily hours at this time! Office phone number: 410-592-6206