This Week’s Gospel Reflection
by Colleen Sisolak, Director of Youth & Young Adult Ministry
Good and Gracious Father, how blessed we are to see so many signs of Your hands at work in our lives and our St. John community. With the beginning of an outdoor Mass, we welcome back those who’ve been hesitant to return to inside celebrations. This week, we also take the time to look directly and deliberately at what ministries may be able to resume in person meetings and connection. These signs of “normalcy” remind us of the many gifts You have provided in the community and in our personal relationship with You.
We hear You, Lord Jesus, as You speak to us through parables. These stories help us to understand the Father and how to be with Him and You and the Holy Spirit forever. In today’s parable, the Sower and the Seed, we are reminded not simply that there are many who begin to hear and follow but will turn away for many reasons, but also that those who truly are followers must also produce fruit.
This call to produce fruit is not just simply a way to end the parable, but a call to action. We are called to share the message of Christ with all. We are empowered and sent to bring others to the Lord. Help us, heavenly Father, to be mindful for this call so that all that we do, all that we say, all that we are is about sharing and glorifying the love of Your Son, Jesus. We are to continue His work until the day He returns. This is a challenge, but one for which You have given us every gift we need to complete.
As we continue to see signs of hope, we ask You, heavenly Father, to give us the strength we need to share that hope with others. For we know that hope in You is never empty, but that Your promise is real and true and that you are faithful to complete it.
Sign Up for Mass July 11-12
- Click the “Sign Up” button of the Mass you’d like to attend at this link: https://sjehydes.flocknote.com/signup/6138
- Select the number of people in your household who will be attending from the drop-down menu.
- If you’re already in the Flocknotes database, the system will recognize you when you click the sign-up button. If not, enter a contact name and email or phone number if prompted.
- Click Submit and close the sign-up window/tab.
- You’ll receive an email confirmation after your sign up is complete.
- Our God is Here
- MSMM Glory to God
- Ps. 65: The Seed That Falls on Good Ground
- MSMM Gospel Acclamation
- Shout to the Lord
- MSMM Holy
- MSMM We Proclaim Your Death
- MSMM Amen
- MSMM Lamb of God
(MSMM = Mass of St. Mary Magdalene)
Electronic Worship Resources
Outdoor Mass Sunday at 11:30 AM!
- Mass will be celebrated near the Conference Center, with the altar on the front porch.
- Limited handicapped parking will be available on the lot near the playground.
- For safety and hygiene, please bring your own chair or blanket; households must maintain 6-feet of social distancing at all times.
- Participants must worship outside of their cars, per Archdiocesan guidelines.
- We suggest wearing a face covering, especially during Communion.
- There will be no music at the 11:30 AM Mass, whether held outdoors or in the church.
- Please use the restroom at home before coming to Mass. If needed, the restroom of the church narthex will be available during Mass.
- If the weather does not permit, the Mass will be relocated to inside the church, subject to capacity limits.
Summer Service Week Recap
“Night of Hope” Free Live-streamed Conference with Amazing Speakers
SJE School Plans Service Day at First Fruits Farm
School families are coming together for two days of service at First Fruits Farm and we’d love to have members of the parish join in!
First Fruits Farm, located in Freeland, MD, is a non-profit, Christian ministry dedicated to providing fresh, nutritious produce to those experiencing hunger in the Mid-Atlantic region. (You can learn more about them here: www.firstfruitsfarm.org.
SJE school and its faculty have done a few service days in recent years, harvesting potatoes and cabbages. (What we’ll be doing is TBD but likely we’ll be harvesting tomatoes or zucchinis.)
Our service dates are Thursday July 16 and Tuesday, August 4 from 9:00-11:30 AM (or any part of that!) Register for July by signing FFF’s waiver here: bit.ly/SJEfruits. Register for August by signing FFF’s waiver here: bit.ly/serveFRUITS.
All family members and friends welcome!
Dejon Summer Family Gathering
- Dejon wine, water bottles and cheese and cracker plates will be for sale.
- The Paul’s Pork’n’Prime food truck will be selling hot dogs, pit beef, turkey, pork barbecue and soda.
- Of course, you can always bring a picnic dinner or just bring some snacks from home.
- There will be live music by This Your Monkey?
- No pets allowed and no alcohol other than Dejon wine.
- Bring some comfy chairs or blankets. Maybe a small table.
- School will have a tent so we can meet and gather together.
- Bring a soccer ball to kick around or a glove and ball to have a catch; school will provide corn hole (and hand sanitizer!)
- Rain or shine!
Our Daily Bread and St. Elizabeth of Hungary Food Pantry Collection
Volunteers for both efforts will have their cars parked in front of the parish office for drop-off, and will remove your donated items from your vehicle. For safety’s sake, please wear a facial mask when dropping off.
Recipes and disposable casserole pans are available in the plastic bin in front of the parish office. The recipe is also available here.
- You can watch the live-stream without joining Facebook
- You may also access Facebook by clicking the Facebook “f” icon in the upper right corner of our website’s home page (www.sjehydes.org)